Our Mission Statement
Our Vision Statement
To inspire students to achieve academic excellence through innovative instruction and service-learning within a Christ centered environment.
Our School's History
When the Kentucky Iron, Coal & Manufacturing Company acquired the land on which the city of Ashland was laid out, the company made an admirable gesture to the local religious congregations. It offered to give land to any organized church capable of building a suitable structure within a reasonable length of time. Six religious denominations had sufficient strength to take advatage of this offer. The Roman Catholics were one of these six congregations.
The Roman Catholics received one lot (between Winchester and Carter, between 9th and 10 Streets) in 1860, on condition that they build a church and school of brick, within three years. The rest of the lots on Holy Family Square were deeded to Holy Family in 1879 for $1,500.
The Catholic school - Holy Family - was built in 1863 and was staffed by Lay teachers. In the fall of 1877, the Sisters of St. Francis came from Rochester, Minnesota, to help staff the school. The association with the Franciscans lasted until 1948, when the Sisters of Divine Providence from Melbourne, Kentucky, came to Holy Family. They staffed the schools along with dedicated lay men and women until June 1992.
Construction in 1890 was undertaken to replace the frame school with a new brick building of classrooms, offices, a cafeteria and a gym/auditorium. This building was still in use when plans were made in 1947 to build a new school behind it. The 1890 building was razed in 1956 when eight classrooms and offices were added to the new building. The structure that now stands is the 1947 school plus the 1956 addition.